Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Photos!

Okay, so today is totally blog worthy.

This morning started off with a bang.  April convinced me to take some photos today (Monday) while the weather was good.  (and yes, the rain is coming back. Curse the rain!).  All in all, we met up and started in town and went from there.  Man alive are there so many settings you can tweak on a camera to get a "good shot"!
I think more than half the battle was just getting the settings right in order to TAKE the picture!  The other half of the battle would be avoiding trash cans, weird backgrounds, odd lighting and last but not least, posing!  Yes, it is in fact easier said than done.  And much easier thought of than done too!  We all see pictures every day, and it would seem "natural" to take pictures.  But do you realize how akward it is to stand against a wall, or tell someone to go stand against a wall and "look natural"?  Yea.. haha but April was a natural at the whole photo thing so I was stoked to work with her for my first attempt at portrait photography.  Fortunately, this weather today was beyond amazing.  It was a tad cold this morning, but that wasn't going to stop us from getting some great shots.  I'm going to have to say that these photos turned out great.  The "problem" with that is, now everyone wants photos!  I've still got a ton of people already on my list, and now the list is growing.  The real problem is finding the time to do them! I really have to start carving out some time this Spring to get the portraits done.  I am NOT a fan of portrait photography, but what the heck why not give it a whirl.  People want photos and that's what they're going to get.  If they bring me the money then I'll do my best to give them the best photos possible.  Now, enough of this talking.  Lets see some of these "professional" photos!  Haha I kid I kid, they are not bad though.  I'm pretty stoked.  I did learn though that White Balance is HUGE!! (the difference between ruining a photo and not..) That, and flash.  Oh man was Wicks right when he taught me about fill flash.  It is a MUST for nearly all photography!
Lets see.. I'll pick out 5, since this blog isn't my photo site, and I've got plenty more that I've still not even edited.. but these are just to show what I did this morning.
One of my favorites as well, the empty space actually added a lot to the picture, letting your eyes fall on the subject.  I love the natural blur that was created by using f4 to get the shallow depth of field. 



Candids are the BEST photos! I love this one because after a lot of trying different poses in the alley, I was like "hey, just put your hands on the prints on the wall!" and there, one of the best shots of the day! 


Another candid, probably my favorite.  This sums up April right here, the smile and everything.  Definitely one of the best shots of the morning, and the funny thing was I was walking backwards on the tracks (nearly falling over myself) and snapped this before she got too close to the camera. 

Cool perspective, gotta love the train tracks for that. 

And, last but not least, we had to get a shot together!

All in all, a GREAT photo shoot, lots of great practice, and I'm glad I could do it with April.  Things went great, and the timing of things was great.  Now, for the rest of my day.  I went home, changed into cycling attire and headed out to Butte.  I used my skin suit from yesterday since I'm out of chamois cream. (trust me, it worked great), and I actually got to Butte in 35 minutes. I'd say it was a combo of the skinsuit and the tail wind.  That was the first non race that I've used the skin suit in.  I practically felt like I was in a race, maybe that's why I rode so fast.  (Isn't there a theory about studying the same way you would for a test, mimicking your environment, chewing the same flavored gum, same pencils etc. Well, same went for the skinsuit). I ran into Adam in the bathrooms on my way to change.  He uttered some smart remark and I was about to fight him till I realized it was him.  Too bad, it would have been amusing to see how I'd manage walking around fighting in cycling shoes. (reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUWCx1MqvVA&feature=related)
Anyways. A long day, great photos, great riding, and I am feeling pretty good about this weekend's racing. (legs sore, but will be good to go by Thursday).  Bring it on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment