Saturday, March 19, 2011

Collegiate Racing, Take Two. Hillclimb TT

Well, after having relaxed a bit (and getting some shut eye) we drove back to College of the Redwoods for the time trial.  It was only like five miles, with the fifth straight up a beastly hill.. Fun fun.  Of course they are going to send us up a hill!  I do not think I'm suited for hills.. that's just something I've noticed over the past few months.  Coming into this second race, I felt pretty gassed.  First time I've felt this gassed in a while.  Like, my body took a beating this morning.  Full body, arms legs and everything!
By the way, this morning my legs were practically numb I wasn't sure how well they would respond to attacks and what not.  And, to answer that "question", they didn't respond to much at all.  Felt practically dead with that freezing rain.  And, for the record, my rain jacket didn't do squat in those downpours!  Seems like rain jackets are designed for "light sprinkles" so it "rolls" off the jacket.. ehh, oh well, the jacket is awesome and looks great too! Super small so I can easily fold it up and stash it in a back pocket. 

Back to the TT.  I was the first to go, and I had honestly no clue where I was going.  The road got smaller and smaller, then winding steeply up a hillside!  Brutal.  And, of COURSE there were going to be brutal headwinds.. That just made it even more interesting.  I only got caught by my thirty second man and the skinny Stanford kid who started 1:30 behind me.  All in all, I raced hard.  It was COLD as ever on the way back.  No arm warmers or anything, man alive it was a cold ride back.
  
After the race, we headed back, got showered and went out to eat at Applebee's.  The food was good, the environment was great and it was a great chance to get out a bit.  Then we connected up with Mr. Cordone and we had some ice cream in Arcata.  That was nice.  Now, time for sleep! I've got a 50 minute crit tomorrow at Humboldt University.  I am expecting a lot of team tactics, as well as razor sharp accelerations.  And, last but not least, bad weather!!

No comments:

Post a Comment