Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Collegiate Racing, Take Three. Campus Crit

This morning I felt beat up from the combination of a long week and a hard day on the bike yesterday.  We packed our bags and drove over to the Humboldt State University campus where the criterium was hosted.  It was raining, no big surprise there.. I got a good long warm up in before my race at 10:50.  I had not pre-ridden the course, so that was a surprise to me when we went around the back side on the parking lot.  The "hill" wasn't that bad, however the problem was on the top.  Right when you get done using all your energy to get up the hill, gaps form from those who take a momentary break to regather themselves and those who power along.  Having started in the back, I was closing these gaps going up the hill each time.  That was mistake number 1.  I can't think of any other mistakes.. It reminded me of a junior's crit how there were so few people and the race was literally to the first corner!  bogus..  I'll catch on sooner or later.  I spent the rest of the race trying not to lose too much ground.  I managed not to get pulled till 5 to go.  I was the last rider to get pulled, finishing 8th place out of I think 15 riders.  A so so day for racing.  I was glad to get out of my cold, wet gear and eat some food.  After racing and packing up we headed home up over the mountains where it was snowing.  I wasn't sure if we'd make it home in time for me to attend the youth service at 7 pm.  Fortunately enough we got back at 6 and I had just enough time to take a shower, eat and drive up to Paradise.
As for the weekend.  I'd say it was a success.  Another weekend spent beating up my legs and body on the bike.  I'm still learning plenty, and there are a lot more races in the future to be raced.  As for this weekend in specific, I'd like to mention that although it was my first collegiate race, I felt very comfortable at the races.  The Humboldt team was very very nice and they had answers to any questions I (or my dad) had.  It was a chill environment which made the weekend all the more enjoyable.

Pictures will be posted later.. too tired to upload them from the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment