Saturday, March 19, 2011

Collegiate Racing, Take 1. Humboldt

So, where to begin.
Let's start at the beginning.. My dad has been suggesting that I try out collegiate racing this season to get a taste of what's to come, so I'm more familiar with the scene when I'm at Davis next year.  Well, that's a great idea!  I got my license, I signed my college up for the club stuff and all that jazz.  We (dad) looked at the schedule, and noted that there was a race in Humboldt this weekend.  He was pretty jazzed about the idea of going up to Humboldt to try out the collegiate racing scene.. Plus, since it was far North maybe not all the hard hitters would be there and I'd have some luck.  Well, little did I know that it would be raining here. (Everywhere)..  It apparently has been bad enough elsewhere that the Wards Ferry RR got cancelled due to snow, as well as the Colfax Criterium this weekend.  Our Humboldt racing was not going to be cancelled, and it hasn't snowed on us yet, but the rains have been vicious.  This morning it was off and on.  Starting the race it was dry.  A little spray from the road, no big deal.  I went with booties, black shorts, vest under shirt, arm warmers, topped off with my new rain jacket. (and long fingered gloves). 

My gear.. haha
Racing with the "A's"
So far so good, till it poured on us halfway through the first lap.  The rain and wind didn't let up until the third lap or so.  The course was great, but for some reason I've been cursed when it comes to hills.  I do not like hills very much..  I got dropped on the climb at the finish of the fourth lap.  I had previously been working with two Cal riders and a Humboldt rider.  The rest of the pack wasn't up for any work since they (Stanford and UNR) both had a rider in the break.  It's funny how a break forms in collegiate.  They just ride off the front.  Literally, just there they go.  The rest of the pack either gets controlled by the teams sitting on the front, or people end up giving up after chasing for too long.  We worked till the climb trying to narrow the gap.  I was in the rotation and wanted to get out and I look back and there were three or four Stanford riders.  I'm pretty sure they were smiling, knowing that we four got suckered into chasing.. haha Well, I had just witnessed first hand how it plays out in a collegiate race.  Fun fun.  Then after getting dropped on the climb, I spent the last two laps (in the cold sunshine and occasional rain) finishing the race alone. 
(Me after the grueling 6 lap race)
I'm now in the hotel staying somewhat warm.  My kit will not be very enjoyable to get back into in another two hours.. I only have one kit, and of course it's raining and cold this weekend.  The weather couldn't have taken it easy on me or anything.. haha
On the bright side, I'm being exposed to collegiate racing, I'm "sight seeing" the area up here in the Humboldt area.  It is very very pretty here, and it's a nice change of pace.  And, the people at the racing scene are really nice!  That is, the promoters and riders from Humboldt.  I think I even got invited to a barbecue going on tonight!  I may have to turn down the offer, I think we're going to dinner with the Cordone's.  They live a few minutes from here.  Aside from the rain, this racing is a good chance to meet new people, get more racing in and more experience under my belt. 

Now for a little down time before the Hill Climb TT at 4:30 PM

2 comments: