Wednesday, May 11, 2011

FFA

Today I had the chance to learn about FFA.  FFA is "Future Farmers of America", and it's a club/organization for those who want to learn skills in agricultural related areas.  (such as floral, forest, farming, machinery, livestock, etc).  Cool stuff!  I had no clue that so many people were involved in FFA, let alone that it existed!  The Spring banquet ceremony was cool to see.  Plenty of "friends" I knew there, though it may be safe to say it's the first time I've seen them in person (thanks to Facebook and the abilities to never truly meet someone and consider them your friend). 

The meeting was informative and lengthy.  The food was good, and it was nice to have the chance to find out about something that is as important to them as sports is to me in my life. 

I couldn't help observe the camera guy do his thing.  I found it interesting that he took candid pictures, despite the protest of many individuals. (the classic eating big hamburger shot, mouth stuffed with food).  Had he not taken the pictures, there would be no opportunity to look back and say "see, this was our Spring Banquet!".  Though, there's a fine line between pushing it and getting enough shots.  Sometimes it's not so fun being the "camera guy".. haha I wouldn't want to be taking the photos he took tonight.  Why?  Because it's awkward, and it takes a lot of "social" skills to be able to mozy around and snap pictures of complete strangers without getting food chucked at you or get dirty looks like "dude, creep......."  Though I give the girl who did the ceremony pictures props because she was efficient and did a fine job getting everyone lined up for their respective group shots after being recognised.

Talk about being antisocial, I left the first moment I could.  I did make eye contact with a few peeps that I knew, and maybe I'll have real conversation with them some day in the future.  It's weird being in a room full of people who sorta know you, and it feels like everyone's eyes are burning holes into the back of your head.  Though, sometimes the best way to solve that problem is stare a couple of people down so they can feel the same way.  Hah, just a thought.  That or be oblivious to everyone else around you, I'd go for something in the middle.. Ignoring people to a certain degree, but reaching out in a kind enough way to "be social" enough to make the strangers happy. 

I'd say my comfort zone of "reaching out" in a crowd like that is at most five feet.  I'll block people out who are any further away.  Though, five feet could always change, mabye if I knew a few more people spread out in the room, rays of hope.. people I could walk up to and chit chat with if needed.  Ever wondered what your comfort zone is?  If you're walking through campus, do you notice people across the way?  etc.. Oh, speaking of that, if you're one who is staring at your phone while you walk, or listening to your iPod, you get a 0, a FAIL. A ZERO distance for reaching out to people.  I want to smack people who walk around staring at their phone, or staring at their feet while they are walking with headphones jammed in their ears.  I've actually attempted making eye contact with girls just to be friendly, like an acknowledgment that they exist.. if they saw me I'd smile and be courteous, right?  Well, I kid you not, I walk past five girls on the way to my car after class, all five were staring at their phone and walked right by.  They wouldn't know I was giving them the dirtiest look or the nicest smile in the world.  LAME!  Oh well, just saying.. it's hard to extend your comfort zone, but if it's at 0, you've got a lot of work to do!

All in all, FFA was educational and overall a good experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment