Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dentist Visit

I am writing this, having just visited the office.  Personally I've never ever enjoyed going to the dentist's office.  I had been dreading this day since Sunday, January 16th.  The dreadful moment when I saw what looked like a cavity on the side of my molar.. I was in Breckenridge, CO at the time, enjoying the fourth day of an eleven day trip.  At the time I pushed the thought aside and enjoyed the trip. (but brushed my teeth three times a day ever since)  This morning I went in to get a filling.. It's a strange situation when you're on your back with this beam of light coming down on you and you've got two people staring into your mouth, making comments and "observations" to each other, discussing the game plan using terminology that's way over my head.  First the numbing, as the dentist says "This will only pinch a bit" (that stereotypical dentist line, right?), then after that kicks in they start bringing out the big tools.  I have always contemplated what's better, staring intensely at the light right above my head (and seeing the tools and smoke and water spray in front of me), or close my eyes which then directs my attention to the feelings of the vibrations and whatever else I can detect that's going on in my mouth.  Either way, it's awkward, and it's hard to keep yourself from staring at the tools or noticing the focused looks on the people working above me.  I give dentists credit:  They are always very confident no matter what they are doing, which makes me feel quite comfortable.  They are also very cheerful which helps disguise the reality of the process of working on teeth. I heard in the background "We're going to do a root canal today" in a cheerful voice (rather than "We're going to do a root canal... bummer... " in a 'that stinks to be you' voice).  One last thing.. when they were working on me, I could slightly feel it when they were drilling away at the side of my tooth. I wasn't sure if I should have told them or if that's normal because it's SO PAINFUL that you can feel it over the anesthesia.  And, one other last thing.. It's a bit strange when you see them put the heating tool (the one that instantly cures the filling) in your mouth, you see the blue light glowing.  I always hope that they won't slip and end up heating my gums or tongue or something like that.

Glad that's over with.. for now.

Lesson learned?  Floss better!!

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious dental visit article from the patient's perspective! LOL Nicely written broseph. A few of your concerns were unvalidated (like the whole blue light burning your tongue--just learned about chemical curing of composites last week in class, actually). But I can tell you more later. I look forward to the day that I can hook you up with free dental care! :)

    ReplyDelete