Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Perspective

It gives me chills when I found out about a death, especially from a kid from this town.  Pretty scary to think about how short life can be.. It's sure an eye opener when it's someone who's not even as old as I am.  Fortunately I have not lost any close friends of my own, I cannot imagine what it's like to lose someone dear to me..  It really puts things in perspective.  I come home and see a "C" on the O, almost shrugging it off since the O has been changed numerous times over the years.  Then I find out that the C is related to the initial of a young boy who went missing in a fatal car accident Saturday.

I try not to think about this topic much, but I've wondered what it is that intrigues us about death.. It seems as if we take interest in seeing headlines like "Two dead, one missing in Highway 70 crash", just as we might be drawn towards a lightning storm, but then too terrified when it hits uncomfortably close.  As if it's "them, not me", as long as it's at a distance we're fine.  I don't want to think too much and put myself in their position, saying "it could be this or that", I could be riding my bike on HWY 70 and anything could happen.  Regardless of age, death is not a pleasant topic.

What I want to take away from such sad news is the fact that I am still here, living life to the fullest, glorifying God in every way I can.  It's important to keep things in perspective, and tragedies such as this are a painful reminder that we are quite literally only human.  With that in mind, I will cherish every waking moment, realizing that I'm blessed to be alive.

R.I.P Cody and your brother and father, my sincere condolences go out to the families.

No comments:

Post a Comment