Tuesday, September 27, 2011

College..

I haven't blogged in a while.  I got really busy with moving in at Davis as well as class itself.

Living on my own has been a new experience for me, one that's taking some time to get used to.  Making my own food, own laundry, all that.  Most of it's fun, as well as the freedom to choose what I want to do and when to do it.  Davis is a really big place, and the University is incredibly large itself.   I'm still getting used to the place, as well as where things are here.  Soon enough I'll know the in's and out's of this place.   I love the fact that I can literally ride my bike everywhere here, nothing is too far, nothing is too "dangerous" to  ride to, no road to "bike unfriendly" to ride on. (though some streets are busier than others).

I have a cruiser, it's pretty cool.  I like getting to chill out and ride slow and not worry about what gear I'm in or what my cadence is for optimal speed and power.. One gear, go slow.  Enjoy the scenery.

Also, I have come to love my U-Lock.  It's my bike's best friend.  That baby is so easy to bust out and I can lock up my bike in no time.  I feel like a pro when it comes to getting to point A to point B and locking up my bike on campus.  Heck, I even rode to the post office.  Everything's a journey here, you have to enjoy the time spent getting somewhere, rather than rushing somewhere.  Plus, no commuting!!! SO COOL!

Classes are challenging, but not over my head challenging.
I would like to point out how there are lecture halls here in Davis, and the "sections" are what I would compare to a Butte Class, but in smaller rooms.. like desks just everywhere and black boards on all the walls. (literally every wall at the one I was at).  The lectures range from 100 to 300 students.  That's pretty intimidating at first, and I certainly get the feeling that I'm a nobody when I'm at lecture.. And I'm going to point something out.. there are a lot of Asians at UC Davis, and a lot in my major (or it seems to be that way).
And everyone has either an iPad or a Macbook Pro. I would never dare bring my clunker of a laptop to lecture.  I am perfectly happy with my notebook and pen that fits perfectly on the arm rests that come out from under the seats.  The rooms I've been in are like indoor movie theaters shaped like an amphitheater.
The screen that the slides are projected on are MASSIVE.  It makes the high school "smartboards" look like a child size hand held white board.

I am trying to make friends, that's a project in the works.. I've made some friends through both CRU and Young Life.  I like the feel of Young Life so far, everyone's been EXTREMELY friendly.  That is nice, it's nice to feel important, that feeling like you're wanted there.. and lately I have NOT felt that at all, from the University feel where you're just a number, not a name, and no one knows you personally.  Sure, you ride bikes? Cool, everyone else does too.  Oh, you can take pictures.  Well so can everyone here.  We've got people who are going to SCHOOL to learn how to take pictures, and you think you're some hot shot who takes sports photos.. ahahahha

We'll see.  The fact that clubs and groups exist make it possible to "shine" within those settings.. Perhaps being the "best" rider at some group ride in the next month, or being the subject of a conversation at some dinner time gathering. Who knows, I just want to meet people..

I am dead tired, and I am going to write in my other journal now.  Going to keep up with that, almost a month straight of consecutive entries.. yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment